Is Business Class really worth it?

Well, ordinarily I would say no unless there's a free upgrade of course. However, when you are traveling overseas from the US and plan to sleep through the night to wake up refreshed and ready to go wherever you land, I think Business Class is definitely worth the added expense if your budget allows. I am not talking about the normal $6K - $8K fares, I am referring to the deals available in the fall and when you add in your miles, thank you Delta Airlines and American Express, the $2500 expense is relatively quite reasonable and worth it!

Frankly, as far as I am concerned, the benefits far out weigh the cost for those of you who are concerned with ROI. Hey, I am too. Let me tell you a little bit about our experience and then you can decide for yourself. When we arrived at the airport, we checked in at the first/business class check in, no lines, and then headed straight for the Delta Crown Room Club, a private lounge reserved for Business and First Class travelers. These lounges have food, beverages and alcohol, wine for me, and since you have to arrive at the airport 2 hours ahead for international flights, there’s no better place to spend your time.

As the hours ticked away, it was finally time to board our 757 and we found our way to our spacious business class seats. Before my first trip to Europe, I had never flown in business class overseas, heck I had never flown overseas, so I was surprised by all the services you receive and how comfy the seats were, see image at right, especially when you have the ability to recline fully to go to sleep. As soon as we sat down, we were personally greeted and asked if we would like something to drink and handed menus for dinner and breakfast. Then, we sat back, got comfy and settled in for the night. Dinner came, followed by coffee and ice cream for dessert. Not bad “fare” when you consider airline food. For entertainment after dinner, each seat is equipped with its own video screen so you can watch movies, listen to music or watch the GPS map to track your distance traveled and even check on the temperature outside the plane at any given moment. Brrr…..it’s cold up there. Lights out. When we awoke, we had breakfast and deplaned. Here we are…at last…

Comments